[OM] Re: Lightroom vs lightzone vs ... summary

Subject: [OM] Re: Lightroom vs lightzone vs ... summary
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:06:06 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Has anyone compared lightroom to capture 1v4 an picasa 2 ? I've not used
> lightroom or capture 1v4 for library management but did use them during
> trials
> and found basic editing interface of capture 1v4 very good but thought (on
> the monitor) the lightroom images looked slightly better (more control
> with
> clarity/detail/sharpness). Picasa2 has the advantage of being free and
> capture
> 1v4 is 1/3 the price of lightroom.
> --

There is also sharpness control tool in C1 (like unsharp mask in PS), the
clarity in lightroom is interesting but as someone mentioned, it may be just
another unsharp mask with higher radius for LCE. Be careful about LCE, I
have seen lots of excessive use, it makes the image too harsh and spoil the
soft background. If it is not absolute necessary I will avoid using it.

> I can play with picasa2 a little tonight but curious if anyone has
> compared
> these three in some details and can list pro/cons.
>
> Btw  C.Ling what did you have to do to match colour ?

I mainly use WB tool to adjust color and curve for contrast if necessary. I
never found it necessary to match colour with the tools like IT8 targets for
digital images.

C.H.Ling