[OM] Re: focus confirmation chip

Subject: [OM] Re: focus confirmation chip
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:58:10 -0000
Mike, I have no experience with the Chinese chips, but I do have with the
Russian equivalents.

As to how they work - they don't work with the E-1 (nor do the Chinese
versions) so for the moment I can only quote the results of another list
member who borrowed my adaptor+chip:

"When the adaptor fits, the focus confirmation works, but with many lenses
the chip takes up too much space.  It will fit my 28/2.8 and 35/2.8, but not
the 50/1.8 or 1.2, the 35/2 or 21/2.  It's very close, but small projections
on the back of the lenses get in the way."  To that, I can add that the 50/2
will*just* fit, but it's *very* tight.

I guess that with telephoto lenses there is less likelihood of a rear
projection than with shorter focal lengths, but it's a consideration to keep
in mind.

Also keep in mind that the chip outer radius needs to be precisely the same
as the adaptor inner radius, if you are intending to buy a bare chip.
Fitting the chip to the adaptor is not difficult, but it does require care
in aligning it radially, vertically and horizontally.  The jinfinance
on-cost for a chip+adaptor at $56.95 compared to a bare chip at $43.95 seems
to me to be a bargain.

BUT note that the Chinese chip (unlike the Russian)  does not claim any IS
function - you will need the latest firmware update to get the body to
enable IS.  But you probably knew that.

--
Piers