[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 7: windy weather

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 7: windy weather
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:18:26 +0000
I imagine, Chuck, that they were small farms and small farms go out of
business pretty easily.  They operate at the whim of the subsidy
machine, called the Common Agricultural Policy in the EU, and if you
can't grow what's being subsidised today you are out of luck.  The
subsidy machine seems to favour large farms operated purely as
businesses and able to benefit from economies of scale.  Subsidies
don't operate on economies of scale so you increase your profits
proportionately with size ...

... but do remember that I'm a military pilot, not an expert :-).

Chris