[OM] Re: tokina 28-70 or 28-80 comments?

Subject: [OM] Re: tokina 28-70 or 28-80 comments?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:17:13 -0500
I love my Tokina AT-X 28-80/2.8 and it's my principal lens for my Canyon
5D.  But it's an autofocus lens and relatively recent in the Tokina
stable (just discontinued last year) so I don't know if its optical
formula comes anywhere near the older, OM mount Tokinas.

You can see it tested here at 28mm against a Kiron 28/2 and a Zuiko
28/2.8.  Unfortunately, the Zuiko turned out to have an aperture problem
that day (since repaired) that wouldn't allow it to open past 5.6.

Here's the overall test image with yellow markers for the test areas.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/Test%20image%2C%20center-edge%20markers.jpg>
Here's a center 1:1 crop
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/Center%20performance.jpg>
and an edge 1:1 crop
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/Edge%20performance.jpg>

For a fast zoom I think it performed very well.  The fast Kiron was a
disappointment until it finally came into its own at f/8.

Chuck Norcutt