[OM] Chooks [Was: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!]

Subject: [OM] Chooks [Was: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:18:22 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Our chooks are around 4 years old now, so we shall have to consider
> the politics of introducing some new chicks to the fold without
> getting them pecked to death.

Are you buying or hatching?

If you have broody hens (and a rooster), and want to try hatching
naturally, that's the easiest way. A broody hen will defend her chicks
quite well. But most modern egg and meat breeds have had raising a
family bred right out of them.

Also, are they free range, or cooped? I've never had much of a problem
when they have plenty of room. We had nine cockerels in our latest
clutch, and they caused a lot of ruckus for a while. But after 24
weeks, we finished them on grain in a separate coop until butchering a
couple weeks later. We would have liked to put some more meat on them,
but the neighbours were complaining about the noise, so we did them a
bit earlier than "by the book." They averaged just 3.5 pounds dressed.
We initially put them all together after 10 weeks.

Hatchery chicks will need heat at night. (Well, maybe not in January
in Oz. :-) Brooder-raised chicks will just tuck under mom at night.

The pullets get along just fine with their moms, and their dad has
taken to them, as well. :-)

:::: Securely there being a gradation which is done the picture whose
also noise is little, seeing, is feeling difference potato. -- from a
Google translation of a Japanese camera review ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::