[OM] Re: HDR attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: HDR attempt
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:32:58 +1000
Ali Shah wrote:
>  Finally figured out bracketing and played around with
> HDR over the weekend. Photos processed with
> Photomatix. There are 4 of them here:
>
> www.flickr.com/photos/4love

You know when people find a new post-processing technique and they just
throw the sliders to the extreme and go "Wow!". I do it all the time -
my guilty secrets are "grunge", the "digital stocking filter",
vignetting (light and blur), and this "duotone" action I got from
somewhere. HDR's been a bit like that for me as a viewer, as I quickly
grew bored with that over-sumptuous look. "Alright! it get it! You've
captured every bit of detail in a high contrast scene and made it look
rich to the point of surreal! Bravo to you!". See what I mean? I really
went off them. :) IMO, it was becoming the charcoal filter for the
digital age. It's not that I think those photos can't be nice, lovely
even, but, well, like a pavlova I can only consume a certain amount
before I start to feel a bit sick from overindulgence. I certainly can't
take several of them at a single sitting.

You haven't done that, of course, Ali. You've used it as I see its
primary intent - to create from a scene of high contrast a photo that
contains detail more as the rapidly-adapting eye sees it. Your HDR
photos look detailed but "natural" (for a given value of the word
"natural" :) ). Please don't let me stop you from using the "extreme
slider" effect, with HDR or anything else - it's just one man's opinion,
and that of a digital hypocrite as well - but I look forward to seeing
you developing and using HDR as you have above, for a "natural" look,
compensating for technical limitations. Hell, even with Flickr's
deficiencies as a "gallery", I always check out your photos anyway, as I
always get something good from them. :)

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz