[OM] Re: [OT] Bug of Parental Controls for Mac OS Leopard

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Bug of Parental Controls for Mac OS Leopard
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:06:38 +1000
Michael Wong wrote:
> I have found a bug of Parental Controls for latest Mac OS --- Leopard.
>
> I set up one hour per day to limit my daughter's login but have found that
> if shut down the computer & restart upon wait a while, the counter is reset.
> That means my daughter may login many times a day with one hour limitation
> every time. Anyone know how to solve it? Thanks.

I don't know, but I did some Googling and found that others also have
experienced a problem with this feature:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6207702

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6084960

The above threads also contain a link to a filed bug report but that
link requires an "Apple ID" login ("ADC Membership"?) so I am not sure
what, if any, action has been taken with that bug-report. If you can get
in there, you might find more info that'll be more helpful.

I also found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=387695&page=24

which has someone say "Parental Controls had multiple problems in 10.5.0
that made it only usable for time limits for me. With 10.5.1 even the
small problems with time limits are fixed!". I do not know what "small
problems" are being referred to, but I just mention it in case you are
still on 10.5.0.

I also found a thread with teens discussing how to stop their parents
from implementing these controls, and checked it out just to see if
there was something there, but apart from discussion of curfews, ages,
and "Aw, man, that sux!", there was little enlightenment obtained. ;-)

Best of luck finding a solution, Michael.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz