[OM] Re: PBG2 out of juice

Subject: [OM] Re: PBG2 out of juice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:51:49 -0500
I don't really have an answer to your question since, although I've got
a PBG2, I've never filled it with batteries so don't have a base to draw
on.  However, after having just looked up the tech data on Varta
"Superlife"  batteries I think you've been drawn into a bit of marketing
hype without paying close attention to the specs.  The "Superlife"
battery is a normal zinc chloride battery.  Nothing at all "super" about
it.  If you're going to use C batteries you should be using alkaline
rather than older style zinc chemistry or NiMH for the greatest life and
rechargeability.  I suspect that 4 AA NiMH batteries in the T32 will
last much longer than the larger zinc C batteries in the PGB2.

One other point.  When using the T-32 in manual you're either at full
power or 1/4 power.  In TTL or auto mode the power level is only what's
needed.  So, manual mode too can be a cause of using more power than you
might have expected.  Perhaps you found yourself at full power and
smaller apertures than usual.

Chuck Norcutt