[OM] Re: OM focus screen question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM focus screen question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:21:00 -0800
Amin Sabet wrote:
> As I mentioned in another post, I have been enjoying the OM-2n.  I am
> primarily using it with an OM 50/1.2, so the viewfinder is nice and
> bright.  It may be because I'm used to the canon 5D with Ee-S screen,
> but I find focusing with the OM-2n to be easier using just the matte
> portion of the screen.  The central split prism and microprism collar
> are nice for confirmation after the fact, but if anything they seem to
> slow me down compared to just using the matte area.  Are the central
> focus aids simply more precise than the matte region and therefore
> something I should force myself to use?
They should have exactly the same accuracy as the matte portion. I
generally use the matte part, and have a matte screen in one of my OM-4
bodies.

Where I find the focusing aids useful is in poor light and for the
occasional grab shot,where the subject is fleeting. Sounds like you have
god vision, like mine. Many people can't see focus clearly on the matte
portion and must rely on the aids.

I believe there are more than one list member(s) and long time OM users
who have over the years followed the path form matte focusing to using
the focusing aids to switching to AF.
> Otherwise, I might try to find one of those all-matte screens.  Am I correct
> that the all-matte
> screen for use with the OM-2n and 50/1.2 would be the 1-4 type?

Yes. The 2-4 won't fit without modification and will throw the meter off.
> Please bear with me... Looking at the other discussions on the list, I get
> the feeling that I'm one of the only folks new to film and the OM system.
That's as may be; certainly we've had such folks around off and on. On
the other hand, the amount of accumulated knowledge about the OM sys,
and all things Oly, on this list is amazing. You may not hear that much
about them nowadays in our day to day chatter, as over the years all the
old timers have pretty much worked over everything. But that doesn't
mean we aren't eager to assist anyone new to OM.

Ask away, questions more than welcome. Answers generally worth more than
you paid for them.

Although not eager to part with it, I could probably be persuaded to
sell a 1-4 screen. The problem is that I don't know what they go for
these days. Anybody know?

Moose