[OM] Re: RAW file by scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW file by scanning
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:45:42 -0000
<snip>
Thanks, Chunk.

--
Michael
</snip>

Sorry, but I had to "chuckle" at the typo ;-)   Wasn't he a character
from "The Goonies" ?  Something to do with the "Truffle Shuffle" ?!

Back to the topic, I recently bought the pro version of vuescan for
exactly the reasons discussed - the ability to output dng files.  The
idea being that I can scan my slides & negs and treat them exactly as
per my digital images in Photoshop.

Seems good so far, but I am yet to get a setup I am fully happy with.
File sizes seem huge (there's a thread on here about that in the last
week, started by me entitled "Scanning query for you" or something like
that).  There have been some very good responses, and it seems that the
dng files created by vuescan are not compressed like those from the
E-330 are, so a 7.5MP equivalent dng file from Vuescan is coming in at
around 45MB.  I am working on trying to reduce that.  There seems to be
some method of lossless compression available, but I can't get that
working just yet.  I'll report back when I have more time to play with
it.

Jon