[OM] Re: xcountry drive (LA-Chi)--snow?

Subject: [OM] Re: xcountry drive (LA-Chi)--snow?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:30:20 -0700
siddiq@xxxxxxx wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
>> My brother who lives in Colorado said that several roads were
>> temporarily closed with snow last week. That said, during a couple of
>> winter trips to Montana no one asked whether I had chains. They assume
>> you have your own best interests at heart and are smart enough to
>> decide yourself, unlike inside a national park.
>>

> Aren't interstates usually kept plowed/clear? Figured if on them, dun
> hafta worry, and once in the city won't be driving at all.

As Moose has noted, no plowing service on Earth can guarantee clear
roads if the weather decides to go to Hell in a handcart.  If you really
must drive to Chicago, don't be a cheapskate, buy a set of chains (or
ask any of your acquaintances/friends if they've got a set you can
borrow), and before you set out, *practise* putting them on your car's
tires.

There's few things worse than learning how to mount chains on your car
when you're stuck in the middle of a snow squall on a mountain pass.

As a Canuck living near the Rockies, I can attest to the immense suckage
of driving through the mountains in winter if everything isn't perfect.
  Assume the worst might happen, and remember that you can't always
depend on others to get you out of a sticky situation (emergency
services may be overwhelmed).  I also carry an emergency CB handheld
radio in the trunk, which plugs into the car's cigarette lighter, for
those times when cell coverage isn't good.  You're *probably* going to
be fine, but as the saying goes, "Chance favours the prepared."

Oh, and have fun.  ;-)

Garth