[OM] Re: OK, before I blow this thing up tell if I'm about to screw up .

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, before I blow this thing up tell if I'm about to screw up . . .
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:17:46 -0500
On Tuesday, November 27, 2007 18:40, Paul Braun wrote:
> NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > I've put the Durst M305 together and it is really in super nice
> > condition. Got to thinking about shipping it overseas and finding out it
> > doesn't work, so I went out and bought a 220-110 Volt 200 watt converter
> > at the  local Fry's. The transformer on the enlarger is 240 volt and the
> > timer is  220 volt. So, if I plug the enlarger into the timer and the
> > timer into voltage  converter and the voltage converter into the wall 110
> > socket does it work  properly, blow up or cook some part of my equipment?
> >  Inquiring minds want  to know.  High school physics was a long time ago.
> > Could have asked  one of the guys at Fry's but that might have looked a
> > lot like just going ahead  and doing it and seeing what happens.  <[B^)
> > Bill  Barber
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the difference between 220 and 240
> shouldn't be the problem.

These are more or less nominal numbers anyway. Most 240v US equipment will
work alright from 208v (it's the highvoltage of a 120/208 3 pase system) to
250 or so. Here is an interesting link <http://www.powerstream.com/cv.htm>.
If the enlarger has a voltage regulator it should handle a lot, If not a
incandescent  lamp will tolerate quite a voltage change with large
corresponding changes in color temp, efficiency, and life.

>You need to make sure of the line frequency
> fo the timer and make sure that matches what the converter puts out.
> You should also try to find the max wattage for both and make sure you
> don't exceed the 200w the converter can handle.  In fact, I would stay a
> bit under 200, since the converter will be running warm enough without
> running close to capacity.  If it works for a short time, you may want
> one converter on each device.
>
> Now, I just popped over and read something that said you should match
> the converter as closely as you can to the device's wattage....hmmmm.

This is to make the combination as efficient as possible. Loses in the
converter are partially related to the maximum power output.

> And now that I think of it, it said the Euro standard was 230v +or-, so
> 240 to 220 may be too big of a swing.  So you may want a separate
> converter for each anyway.
>
> The biggest problem is going to be the timer, which probably uses line
> freq as a time base.  If it's designed to run on 50Hz current, asking it
> to run on 60Hz will make it run fast, if at all.  Double-check the specs
> on the timer just to be sure.

Over frequency is better than under frequency. I agree that the timer will run
20% fast.  Is this