[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 46: Santa Pola to Almere

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 46: Santa Pola to Almere
From: "Stephan Van den Zegel" <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:27:15 +0100

Hello Andrew,

Now I know I could migrate to Australia and open a fritkot... (a place where
you buy des frites... that you eat on the street in a paper cornet... with
various sauces all derivated from mayonnaise...) but to be a real fritkot
you must use :
- the right kind of potatoes (depending on the season)
- the right size of cutter to cut fires to the good standard depending on
the kind of potatoes you use...
- the right fat (not oil... but horse or beef fat... called "blanc de
boeuf")
- a very well calibrated "friteuse" with two parts (150°C and 179C°) in
order not to spoil the "blanc de boeuf" which should never overheat... and
be changed every day or more...
- and of course some grey or white alimentary compatible paper to roll the
"cornet"
- salt... preferably seasalt

And a good portion of "stoofvlees" or "carbonnades" (or in the region of
Liège and Maastricht "boulets")
Bier is of course also needed...

So would this have some success in Australia ? (of course I see that as a
cooperative alternative to fast food involving producers of potatoes and so
on...)

Stephan

For the photographical part : fritkot / baraque à frites ; marina cox and
mar ots ; éditions de l'octogone LLN/Bruxelles 2002  (a book of pictures of
fritkot)