[OM] Re: [OM]address of a store in San Fransisco ?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]address of a store in San Fransisco ?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:46:22 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> I don't think I've ever bought any camera gear in S.F. I'm 45 miles
> south.
I live a lot closer than that, but I never go camera shopping there.
> The two names I've heard are Adolph Gasser and Calumet.
Yes, Gasser has been there forever, the old line pro equipment and
rentals place.
http://www.gassers.com/10.html

And Calumet the newer kid in town from the Midwest.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=compinfo.CompStoreLocDetail&ac.comp.locID=SF

<http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=compinfo.CompStoreLocDetail&ac.comp.locID=SF>
> Sales tax in the bay area is over 8%. It would be cheaper to order it
> from one of "internet stores" and have it shipped to a friend's
> address for your son to pick up.

Considering the low international value of the US$, it might still be
worthwhile. You should check whether they carry the lens. I seem to
recall seeing ads for Ritz, a US chain, with the ZD 50/2. Probably not
any cheaper, but perhaps more convenient.

Like Jeff, I shop online for that sort of thing. In the US, although
interstate sales are supposed to be taxed, according to the states, in
practice, they are not by sellers with no retail presence in the
receiving state. So buying by mail from B&H, KEH, Amazon, Cameta,
Buydig, Adorama, etc. generally saves money - And one needn't deal with
the big city, and the associated costs and hassle, in person.

Moose