[OM] OM Lenses to Pentax K mount?

Subject: [OM] OM Lenses to Pentax K mount?
From: Curt & Sally Hedman <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:54:29 -0600
Okay, here's another "I'd like to use my OM glass on my (other brand
DSLR)' thread... I'd like to be able to use some of my OM glass, such
as the 135/4.5 macro, on my K10D... the registration distance doesn't
bother me, as I do not care about focus at infinity, but I haven't
been able to locate a simple mechanical bit to go between the two.
However, in fiddling with an OM lens and a K-mount body, I notice
that the OM bayonet actually 'fits' into the K mount... the bayonet
lugs fit with the lens rotated about 120 degrees counterclockwise
from the normal OM position, but the OM bayonet bottoms out on
something about 1.5mm from the front surface of the K mount, and the
lens cannot be rotated to engage the bayonet lugs with the mount
lugs. I had noticed previously that a Pentax K rear lens cap works
fine on an OM mount lens, when one I bought somewhere arrived with a
K-mount rear cap on it, so I figured things (diameter, lug
size/location) had to be close. Since an OM lens rear cap wont fit
onto a K-mount lens, at least not easily, I surmise that the diameter
of the central part of the OM bayonet is smaller than that of a
K-mount bayonet... Anyway, if I could come up with a way to hold the
lens against the K-mount, with optical axis aligned and stray light
excluded, I think things would work on the K10D. I've thought a bit
about getting some cheap extension tubes (one each K and OM version)
and slicing and combining, but that would not take advantage of the
OM bayonet fitting into the K-mount... but might be OK with the
135/4.5 macro + variable extension tube. Anyone have any thoughts,
comments or suggestions?

Curt