[OM] Re: VueScan Query

Subject: [OM] Re: VueScan Query
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:11:24 -0600
Hi Jon,
I've thought about doing what you plan to do, but I have never done
it.  Be that as it may, if I were to do it, I would do the following
things:

1) Get an IT8 target and use it to profile the films you use -- all
the rest of the items below build on this, so if you don't plan to do
this, or haven't already done, you can probably just ignore the rest
of this reply.

2) When you profile a film, the color settings can be set to defaults
-- they don't matter with respect to building the profile itself.  But
after the profile is build and the IT8 target (i.e., your photograph
of the IT8 target) is still on the screen, adjust the color settings
so that the grayscale range looks as fully articulated from white to
black as possible.  Save these color settings as your new default
settings for this film.  (Don't mess with the individual sliders for
R,G,B -- your profile really should take care of this;  leave the
Color Balance setting on "White Balance.")

3) Shoot all of your films, whether they are negative or slide, as
though they were slides -- or at least don't go to the extreme of
overexposing your negative films too much as some people recommend.
Use the goodies on your OMs to get the exposure right.  Then when you
batch run your film with your film profile and your default settings,
you will probably get decent scans.  They should at least be in the
ball park.

4) If you don't profile your monitor and otherwise practice good color
management, you should.  The suggestions above are really predicated
on a hardware-corrected monitor.

While I don't batch scan, I do use all of the above guidelines, and it
really is helpful for me to get a reasonable starting point for any
scan.  The difference among films is significant.  Some have a very
long toe and smooth shoulder and some require much more precision to
get good highlights and shadows.  You learn a lot about your films by
doing this stuff.  Adjusting the color settings at the time you are
working with the IT8 target brings all of your films to some threshold
of standardization, which is what you really need if you are batch
scanning and hoping for some kind of usable output.

Hope that helps,
Joel W.