[OM] Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E500
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:14:19 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Matthew,

> When you say voltage is very important... is there any chance that
> international models would have any problems? So the T32 works in fully auto
> mode with E-series huh?

The voltage problem is in relation to other models and makes of flash.
Some flash units present a high voltage across the flash shoe pins which
can cause problems (often fatal) for digital cameras, and even for some
film cameras. The Olympus T-20 or T-32 flash units use a triac in the
flash trigger circuit, so there is only a very low voltage/current presented
to the camera flash trigger terminals. Your milage will vary with other
makes and models of flash unit.

The T-32 works in Auto or Manual mode's but not in TTL (Through The
Lense) Mode, as the only flash terminal that is used between a T-32
and an Olympus E-Series camera is the actual trigger terminal.

The good thing about getting a T-20 or T-32 on obay is that when
you end up with some loose change, you can get an OM camera
body to go with the flash and OM lense(s) you will find yourself
slowly accumulating. Resistance is Futile.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

"I want a kinder, gentler Microsoft. We begin formatting in 5 minutes."