[OM] Re: [OT] Online Photo sharing sites

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Online Photo sharing sites
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 06:29:25 +0100
Mike,

With Smugmug, you can do several things to address the concerns of
the parents:

- there is an option to right-click protect the images, so they
cannot be downloaded (although as Moose said, there are ways around it)
- you can make the gallery non-public and non-searchable, so that
only those to whom you give out the direct link can find it
- you can even add password protection to a gallery and just give out
that password to those who you want to give it to

Of course, none of this is 100% protection; if a determined hacker
can get into Pentagon computers, then obviously he can also get to
your pictures in Smugmug. But why would a determined hacker bother?

Nathan

On 6-nov-2007, at 6:10, Mike Butler wrote:

> Well, I knew you were the right guys to ask.
>
> Thanks for clearing up the confusion with the Virgin Mobile case.
> I should
> have known I didn't have all of the details.
>
> To answer Ken's question, my Brother is the Coach of his sons
> soccer team
> and he wants a common "protected" site for the other Mom's and
> Dad's to
> share the photos at a resolution worth printing from.  While there
> is little
> chance of copyright infringement, some of the parents are very
> concerned
> with some wacko getting a hold of the pictures.
>
> In talking with my brother this evening, He was looking at the
> Shutterfly's
> Terms and Conditions  and was liking what he saw so far but he
> wants to re
> read them a couple more times to be sure.  I think the main thing
> he likes
> is the limited access part of it.  Anyone here have any problems with
> Shutterfly?
>
> Another suggestion from a co-worker was more limited in the number of
> pictures that can be posted, but also much lower profile, was
> Blogspot.  For
> some reason the posts don't show up and a simple Google search.
> However,
> you can only attach four pics per post.  Might be a solution in some
> cases...
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed.  It has been very educational.
>
> Mike Butler
> Dublin, California

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx