[OM] Re: Oregon trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Oregon trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:21:02 -0700
Darin wrote:

> Beautiful shot Mike! I'm jealous, I live in Oregon and I've only been to
> Crater Lake once.

Sounds like a personal problem. :-)

We went to Crater Lake this summer, Carol Anne's first time and my first
in about 50 years. It's an odd place. Visually, it's jaw droppingly
spectacular, but that's all. There's not much to do but stare at the
scenery. And gorgeous as it is, after an hour or so at one spot, and an
hour or so at another, it starts to pall a bit. As Carol puts it, my
looking molecules were all used up.

The drop into the water is long and precipitous, so it can only be
reached in one place, said to be quite a rigorous climb down and up.
That's also the only way to get a boat ride. And even that is only
available for a short time each year. We were there in mid June, most of
the rim road was closed by snow, and it certainly is now, judging from
Mike's shot.

There isn't much else to see or do in the park that is different from
the rest of that large stretch of South Central Oregon. In the end, we
were pleased that the Lodge was full. We really enjoyed our stay at the
Prospect Hotel in Prospect. The Rogue river, its gorge and the
mountains, lakes, creeks and waterfalls are quite wonderful. A couple of
nice places to eat too.

I'd say there is more to see and do at Shasta or Lassen than at Crater.
Lassen isn't as spectacular in any one place, but adds up well. Of
course, one can see any two, or all three in a hurry, in one day. Shasta
and Lassen are not far apart. But then you might miss the spectacular
falls in Dunsmuir.

Moose