[OM] Failed HD - was Re: [OT] Green? I'll say...

Subject: [OM] Failed HD - was Re: [OT] Green? I'll say...
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:22:44 +1000 (EST)
Hi Donald,

> I just had a hard drive refuse to mount, all I'm getting is continuous
> clicking as it attempts to spin up. Of course, this is the data drive of
> my secondary computer, upstairs. And everything is backed up. Eh....

What make/model/age - reply offlist if you like.

Also depends on if your happy to remove the controller PCB from the
HD as to what I tell you next :-)

When I have a clicking drive come in, its normally the main
drives not starting, (could be a couple of other things but this
is the main one). Often if its an older drive with pressure contacts
between the controller PCB and HD unit, simply removing the
controller PCB, cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser, or
a light brush with an antistat brush (depending on spring/contact
rubbers etc) gets it up and running again.

Worse case - your drive motors gone o/c :-(

> Anyone in the UK know any services that could save me?

Do a web search on "harddisk data retrieval" on google UK should
get you some.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/