[OM] [OT] new 226BW arrived today

Subject: [OM] [OT] new 226BW arrived today
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:10:31 -0400
Received the 226BW this afternoon and have just begun to play with it.
It arrived in non-damaged condition and set up easily.  Initial
observations:

* a bit of backlight bleed along the edges... was expected as most have
mentioned it.

* profiled easily with my cheap ColorPlus Spyder.  Colors look great and
match prints nicely (stock profile was a tad on the blue side).  My
contrast is set to 74 (default) and I set my brightness to 75.  Not sure
if this is an optimal setting so if anyone else has better settings, let
me know.

* sweet spot is dead in the center.  As mentioned by others, if you move
an image toward the bottom of the screen it gets brighter, towards the
top, darker.  This effect for me is minimized if I have eye level about
1/3 distance from top of the screen and have the screen perpendicular to
line of sight.  I wish the brightness was more uniform though I was
warned a TN screen would behave this way.  I'll adapt.  I can see a way
around this by changing the image to 25% to 33% of max in PS, centering
it and doing a final visual check before sending it to the printer.

* Do I feel this monitor was worth the $278 I paid for it?  Absolutely.
   Do I feel I can produce digital images suitable for printing in house
as well as out sourced?  Yes, though I'll have to make some minor
changes in my work habits in how I produce those images compared to how
I did it with a CRT (like focus my attention at keeping my back straight
:) ).

* Am I happy?  Yes.  Thanks Moose and to everyone else that provided
input to my questions before I purchased the monitor. :)

Richard
--
Richard Lovison Photography
http://bcn.net/~rlovison/index.html