[OM] Re: moosterizing skills (thread name change)

Subject: [OM] Re: moosterizing skills (thread name change)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:43:33 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> Moose,
> Again, I am very impressed and thankful for doing this for me. Both versions
> look really good on my monitor. I am starting to feel somewhat guilty about
> this though, for two reasons. One, I suspect that you probably spent a
> considerable amount of time doing these, given the amount of wires and poles
> that needed to be removed, buildings straightened, etc.
Funny how people think of perspective correction as a big deal. I can't
imagine it took more than a minute. Go into the correct mode, display a
grid and pull or push corners until important lines are parallel with
the grid. In this case, I pushed in the bottom corners and let the small
building on the left stay a bit slanted so that when cropped
rectangular, the "end of the rainbow" would still be in the image.

It's MUCH easier to deal with the lines on the larger files. They really
didn't take all that long. The pole in front of the building was the
toughest individual thing, what with the detail of the siding needing to
line up and look natural. The window is just a copy of the other window
with the shade removed. And I got to hone skills I value.
> The other reason I feel guilty, is that it would have been a bit better for
> me if the pavement had been left in the picture. I know the pavement looks
> better when it is left out (thankfully I kept my feet out of the picture),
> but removing it has changed the ratio (I think), so that getting it printed
> is not going to be as easy for me.
I didn't gratuitously take it out, although I easily could have. :-)
Correcting the perspective left a trapezoidal shaped image and I cropped
it to maintain as much of the rainbow and sky as possible, which chopped
off some of the bottom. And as you say, it looks better that way. I do
all my own printing, so I tend not to pay as much attention to standard
print sizes as I otherwise might.

In any case, by simply cropping a bit more width and less height, it's
easy enough to create a 3:2 crop. W-M will probably crop it further
anyway.  :-(
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/WayneC/189629428-O32.jpg>
> Not to worry though, I think I can get it printed larger and cut off the
> whites. Thanks again so much. Now, my thought is, what can I do for you
> beyond giving thanks?

Hmmm...... How much time and effort do you donate to the welfare of
others? How many people will have a little bit of joy brought into their
lives? Who is paying for the prints?

I think thanks is more than enough.

Moose