[OM] Re: Camtech services Oly digital?

Subject: [OM] Re: Camtech services Oly digital?
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:38:45 -0400
Olympus has always allowed outside shops to buy digital parts, but some
of the prices are SO inflated, that competition from independent
entrepreneurial types is difficult.  Example:  a replacement lcd from
Olympus may be $75 net for the part, use the original Sharp part at half
the price. When Olympus does the repair, they don't necessarily charge
the customer for the lcd especially if there's no sign of abuse, they
just charge the labor.  Another example:  if anything goes wrong inside
the lens of the E-10 or E-20, you have to buy the entire lens assembly
with shutter & ccd attached as the repair part. Dealer net $574 or $514
respectively.  E-10 lens assembly no longer available.  There are simply
no separate parts available for lenses.

Olympus Imaging America makes parts pdfs available through their dealer
website, but then they started to put a huge watermark on them in an
effort to keep them off a lending library site.  Solution: out of
nowhere, someone started supplying the pdf's W/O the watermarks.
Otherwise someone would have to start using PS to filter the watermark out.

They still refuse to sell digital manuals, adjustment software or to
provide training. THAT only drives shops with manuals (who care) to send
pdf's wherever they're needed.  OIA's attitude is like trying to keep a
grip on a handful of sand underwater.  The tighter they squeeze the more
slips through.
We independent shops share our findings.  BTW,  90+ % of OIA digital
work goes out to subcontractors.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon dot net