[OM] OT New Tamron VC (IS) lens [was Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D...

Subject: [OM] OT New Tamron VC (IS) lens [was Media Release: New Canon EOS 40D...]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:44:23 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> The previous kit lens was about $100 so it appears they can add IS to a
> lens now for $100.  These lenses won't do me any good but perhaps
> there's other stuff coming down the pike.
>
> Moose says that Tamron has a new 28-300 that also has IS so perhaps the
> future of IS is looking brighter due to greater availability and lower cost.

Not only do they have one, but I am about to have one. Not typical of my
usual careful research. The draw of my favorite lens with IS (Tamron
calls it VC) added was just too much.

Adorama listed it, not yet available, but one could pre-order.
Typically, B&H doesn't allow on-line ordering of items not in stock. In
this case, it wasn't even listed, maybe. I sent a query to Tamron USA,
who said they should show up this month. Friday night, I wandered back
to B&H and tried a simple search for "tamron 28-300" and lo and behold,
there it was - in stock. It wasn't yet fully entered into their system
so a search for "tamron 28-300 canon" didn't find it, for example.

So I took a shot and ordered it after their Sabbath no orders period was
over. I still wasn't sure it was real, but I got the notice this morning
that it shipped.

I'm way to excited, like a kid waiting for Christmas.  :-)   Supposed to
arrive Wed.

Only a little larger and heavier. I wonder what the effect on battery
life will be.

Moose