[OM] Re: Anybody using Geniune Fractals?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody using Geniune Fractals?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:32:35 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Your mention of PW Pro and its fine layout and resizing tools reminds me
> of an email I once sent to Jonathan Sachs (the author of PWP and
> co-creator of Lotus 1-2-3) asking about the advisability of stepwise
> methods to resize a file.  His response was something to the effect that
> any software resizing tool that required that to be done was poorly written.

You've posted this before, and I've resisted....

What makes him the expert? I used Lotus extensively at one time. An
extraordinary step forward in its time. Also useful for meditation while
waiting for it to print something simple, like " I wonder WHAT it can be
doing that takes so long?"

But I digress. I don't recall Lotus ever doing image up-sizing. Nor do I
recall any comparison of upsizing apps placing PWP at or near the top.

So, when he comes out with an app that it as good as the best, and does
it without internally stepping, I'll believe him. Until then, he's just
another guy blowing smoke.

In my tests, pixel peeping, not prints, for good or ill, FM's SI Pro
came in second to FM's version of the same process optimized for a
specific camera's files. Sl setp interpolation is still in the running
as far as I am concerned. On the other hand, for small, very low rez
files, Qimage stomped SI in prints.

Moose