[OM] Re: [WTB]OM-2000

Subject: [OM] Re: [WTB]OM-2000
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:43:58 -0500
Dean is certainly right that the FE2 (or FM2 for that matter) is much
more camera than the OM2000, but the double exposure system works
exactly the same on the OM2000 as it does on the FE2.  The timer lever
is the same as well (if more flimsy).  In fact, I believe that Cosina
created the FM10 for Nikon first and then simply modified it to make
the OM2000, adding at least one little goodie -- the spot metering.

The FE/FM series is indeed heavier than OM, but not much heavier, and
not much bigger.     These were the cameras that were meant to compete
with OM head on, or at least check the market slippage in the
direction of Olympus.  The glass is another thing though.  Not much to
compare to the f2.8 Zuikos for lightness.  But if you're into f2
Zuikos other than the 85mm, you're dealing with some heavier glass
anyway ...

If you use your left eye to focus, beware the Nik*ns however.  The
wind-on lever will poke you.  The OM2000 is the same way out of the
box, but it is easy to modify the lever to lie flat against the camera
body in use.

Not to go too far into the OT glass, but the E-series Nik*n lenses
were quite cheap.  The 50 in particular was a very good performer.
This was a pretty inexpensive way to get a secondary Nik*n system.
There is a lot of very good, relatively inexpensive stuff that mounts
on a Nik*n.  (I've always been meaning to get a Nik*n adapt-all mount
for my Tamron SP 80-200 ...)

Gary Reese used the OM2000 for some of his lens tests IRRC.  He liked
the fact that the timer lever could be "tuned" to lock up the mirror
and aperture for as little as 2-3 seconds before firing (once you got
the feel for it).  That is until his lever broke.  While it was
working, the OM2000 was as good as an OM-4 for his lens tests.

Joel W.