[OM] Re: Train tracks: (was # 232)

Subject: [OM] Re: Train tracks: (was # 232)
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:06:23 -0400
On Sunday, July 22, 2007 09:52, Chris Barker wrote:
> I realised that when we tried to plan a journey some years ago from
> Florida to somewhere interesting in the Interior (;-)).  The choice
> was limited and the price was quite high.

I just looked up the time table for going from Syracuse, NY to Norfolk. VA a
trip I thought I was going to have to make a while ago. I looked at the train
because I thought it would be more comfortable that a bus and cheaper and
less hassle than a plane. Round trip cost is $263. The first train looks like
it is the 27th and the total travel time down is 16 hours and the return trip
is 22 hours.

Now let's compare this to driving. Since my car is on it's last legs I'd end
up driving a camper van down. While I could leave right now particularly if I
had to go I'd leave in the morning and it's about a 10 or 11 hour drive even
with a relatively slow vehicle. Cost would be about $294 in gas and I'd have
a vehicle to get around while I was there and a place to sleep. Ignoring wear
and tear on the vehicle which, in this case I can, it's only $30 more to
drive. That is for just one person. Driving I'd get down there much quicker
and more comfortabley.  If there were 2 of us going the cost to drive is much
cheaper. While it varies between different trips it generally takes twice as
long to get somewhere on public transportation and is equal or much more
costly for public transportation depending on how many people are going.

A lack of car also limits employment opportunities at least in any upstate NY
city (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton just to name a few).
They either down run where the jobs are or when the jobs are. -Doug