[OM] Re: Photo stitching - anyone up for a challenge?

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo stitching - anyone up for a challenge?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:44:39 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> This is actually pretty easy with Photoshop Elements.
>
> In this particular case, I'd open of the first photo and use that as
> my background layer.  Then I'd open up the second, and select the boy
> and a good area around it.  Copy it into the clipboard and then paste
> it into a new layer on the first photo.  Change transparancy to 50%
> and move it around till it is in the position you want.  Now you
> change the transparency back to 100% opacity and start erasing
> anything that doesn't look like a kid.
Does Elements do layer masks? In PS, I would do it much as you say, but
using a layer mask and painting with black, rather than erasing. That
way any misses that aren't noticed right away may still be easily
corrected by painting with white. I find it most distressing to find a
spot where I over erased and didn't notice until I'd done a lot of other
things. With a layer mask, noting is ever gone, just not visible.
> When erasing, I tend to use my Wacom Pen to feather the edges a bit to hide
> where the transition
> is.
Here again, I'd use the Wacom, but paint transition areas with shades of
gray and/or partial opacity, rather than erasing. I tend to like as
little feathering as possible, and often use selection tools to get as
clean an edge as possible before feathering/blurring/whatever.

Moose