[OM] Re: T.Power Control labels (was Re: Last of OM items for sale)

Subject: [OM] Re: T.Power Control labels (was Re: Last of OM items for sale)
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff,
     Auto/TTL flashes add an inductor in series with the tube to greatly
increase duration of
flash discharge. The inductance is choisen to give an approximately fully
damped half sine wave
with the average resistance of the tube and the flash cap.
With the load increased when using the two tubes in series, this would become
more overdamped.

The light output is just controlled by controlling the flash duration with a
series connected
switch to interupt the current to the tube. For many years this was always a
specially optimised
thyristor switch. It is easy to switch on a thyristor but to switch it off is
very hard and
requires the reversal of current through the switch circuit for a brief period
so voltage on
thyristor drops to zero. This is where a second thyristor and a much smaller
"commutation"
capacitor is used to reverse voltage across the thyristor briefly. The energy
in the commutation
capacitor is small, but impedance is kept low to allow reversal of flash
circuit current. The only
significant energy saving occurs because the flash capacitor is only partially
discharged. Nowdays
the main thyristor is replaced by a spcial high current transistor. (IGBJT)
This switch is
relatively easy to switch off, so circuit is greatly simplified.

Early auto flash circuits just dumped the remaining energy in the flash cap
into a seperate
internal flash tube in parallel with main tube, wasting lots of energy. This
was the original auto
flash circuit patented by H. Edgerton of MIT.

Hard to guess whether current is reduced to close to half, because of
non-linear tube resistance
and inductance in circuit.  Certainly expect duration to extend and current to
be reduced.

Tim Hughes