[OM] Dieselphilia [was Re: First newbie question]

Subject: [OM] Dieselphilia [was Re: First newbie question]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:20:53 -0700
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
> If you are interested in the environment, you can make a
> case for a hybrid. If you are interested in economy, a diesel will
> beat the
> total expense every time.

It's hard to make such a case for a hybrid if you compare the two in
pollution per distance traveled.

So why not the best of both worlds? Where are the diesel hybrids?

It would seem an ideal combination, since diesels have a narrow power
band -- they like to run at a fixed speed (peak torque RPM is
typically very close to peak efficiency RPM), which they can do in a
hybrid.

BTW: I last bought gasoline in 2002.

Requisite Oly content: I took a picture of a diesel vehicle
yesterday. In fact, it's hard to take a picture around here without
having a diesel of some sort (or two, or three) in the frame...

:::: A virus has marked this email as being virus-free! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::