[OM] Re: E-510 Test Image

Subject: [OM] Re: E-510 Test Image
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:30:23 -0600
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> A test image out of the new 510. Harsh sunlight at 2 p.m. Shot RAW,
> with a wee bit of levels adjustment, some LCE, a modicum of Smart
> Sharpen and downsizing to 800 pixels wide.

Nice!  I'm glad it was simply a bum camera, rather than a problem with
the entire model.  The stuff I've done with my E-410 so far leaves me
reasonably impressed; if this is what the "consumer level" models can
do, please God, bring on the E-P1 as fast as humanly possible.  I'm
ready.  (Hell, I was ready two years ago, Olympus!)

> http://www.bwp33.com/page10/page10.html
>
> Interesting, but the native image size out of the 510 appears to be
> more than CS3's "Save for the Web" facility can handle. I had to
> downrez this one myself using Bicubic Sharper.

Does seem odd, doesn't it?  After all, the kinds of cameras that people
who code stuff like CS3 seem to really cater to, like some of Canon's
and Nikon's more muscular models, all produce images that are as large
as or larger than the E-410/510.

> But I do believe the final image is pretty sharp enough.

Well, everybody needs to believe in something.  ;-)

Nah, just kidding.  Looks good.  And I envy you for where you live.

Mind you, having said that, an awful lot of people have told me that
they'd gladly kill me and bury me in their backyard for a chance to live
in a city of a million people only forty-five minutes away from the
Canadian Rockies.  Gotta get out and do more shooting -- now if only
these damn thunderstorms would stop rolling through the area *every*
*freakin'* *day*...

Garth

P.S.: One nagging thing, though -- would it KILL Olympus to produce a
firmware update for the E-410 (and -510) that allows a three-exposure
bracket to be taken with values of -2, 0 and +2 EV?  After all, the
whole point of such bracketing is to combine for HDR (or HDR-like)
images, but their offering of -1, 0 and +1 EV as a maximum value kinda
blows.  (It blew on the E-1, too, but at least you could take five
exposures in the sequence, and toss away the -1 and +1, leaving you with
-2, 0 and +2...)