[OM] Walt update - read this one

Subject: [OM] Walt update - read this one
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:23:24 EDT
Sounds like good news to me from a friend of Walt . . .   Bill  Barber

What a surprise tonight when we walked into Walt's room, and found he was
off the respirator!  According to the nurse, they removed it around 11 this
morning, just 2 hours after the doctor told us it would be at least a  couple
of
days....go figure....guess the pulmonologist knew better.   At any rate, he
was relatively alert, although it was apparent he is still in  and out,
evidenced by the fact he had told the nurse right before we got there  that he
had
been kidnapped.  He also told us he had been shopping at a  store that sold big
clothes.

The most telling thing, though, and to me, the evidence that all our  prayers
and good thoughts DO have an effect, is the story he told us about a  dream
he had, where he saw Jesus.  He dreamed that Jesus picked  him up and threw him
over his shoulder and smacked him on the bottom, and said,  "J. WALTER!"
That was all he remembered about it.  (For those of you  who may not know,
since
his father's name was Walter, he was known as J. Walter  when he was growing
up.)  As you all know, he is not a religious person, so  this was pretty out of
character.  We suspect that he had this dream  Wednesday, when he was at his
lowest point, since he has been improving since  then.

He was hungry and asking for food, but we explained to him that since he
hadn't eaten anything in over a week, it would be a gradual process to work his

way back to real food.  The nurse said that they will probably start him on
clear liquids tomorrow.

He was making jokes, singing, and lucid for most of the time, with periodic
rambles into things that only made sense to him.  They still have his arms
restrained so he can't pull out any of the tubes, but I suspect that won't be
necessary as he gets stronger and more aware of his surroundings.

So thank you all again for the prayers and good wishes.  I am totally
convinced that's what has made the difference in the progress he has made.   He
still has a very long road ahead of him, but at least he is still with us and
slowly improving.  I'll keep you updated.