[OM] A Tour in the Dark (Ilford)

Subject: [OM] A Tour in the Dark (Ilford)
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 01:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
I started into photography in 1973, at the age of 13. As a member of my high
school's camera club, I learned to develop and print black and white film
before I was allowed to use the club's 35mm camera...which also meant hand

  Hey - resin coated paper? What's that... let's give it a try! Ooops; don?t
put it in the ferrotype print dryer!

  A few weeks ago, I decided to load up my OM-4 T with some Ilford HP5, and
shoot it at 3200 ASA. I used Ilford Ilfotec DD-X to develop it: I hadn't used
that before but, I easily found the tech notes I needed at the Ilford website.

  Oh, yeah: love that OM-4 T's spot metering.

  I was so pleased with the results that I went out and bought some more HP5. I
had to travel over 100 kilometers, to the nearby city of Ottawa, Ontario to
find some; and I am grateful to the Henry's Camera store on Bank street for
stocking it, along with some Microphen (which I have used extensively).

  Now that I have remembered how much fun working with black and white film is,
I am going to be shooting a lot more of it.

  And, hey: there is a whole generation of people out there that have never
seen what 11 EV units of exposure latitude looks like - particularly when
compared to desaturated images from digital cameras!

  Well, here are some of my results....

  http://originofwriting.com/Ilford_HP5_at_3200_ASA/Iflord_HP5_at_3299_ASA.html

  Hmmm... now, that REALLY had me thinking about Andrew Wiese's 100mm f2!!!

  Best Wishes,
John Morton