[OM] Re: Ink Jet Cartridge Effciency Report

Subject: [OM] Re: Ink Jet Cartridge Effciency Report
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:24:53 -0600
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> That Kodak printer with the new cheap ink may not be as big a bargain
> as it seems. And it confirms some observations on this list.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132969-pg,1/article.html

  Interesting -- the printer I use (Canon i960) has, I'd guess,
somewhere around 95% ink efficiency, in that every cartridge is
one-colour, and when they're "empty", the ink side of the cartridge is
empty, and there's a bit of ink left soaked into a sponge, and that's it.

  It measures ink use by optical means, ie it actually looks at the
cartridge with a little light sensor (or something) to know when it's
done; no chip that thinks "100 pages and that's all you're getting".

  I don't know how efficient it is at using ink to make an image on
paper compared to other printers, but as far as throwing ink away in
half-dead cartridges, I don't see how it could be much improved.

  -- dan