[OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:02:29 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:
> Well, anything to make me run to the camera bags to check out something Moose
> says.  Hmm, I put my 21/3.5 on an OM2n with a 1-10 screen then switched it to
> my
> 4T with the Beattie Grid.  In a darkened room they seemed to be equally as
> hard
> to focus but I would have given a slight edge to the Beattie on this one.  I
> then put the lens on an OM1 with a 1-13 screen.  The clear section of the
> screen
> was more difficult to focus with but when looking at things with vertical
> lines
> the split image made it easier than the other screens.  Of course if there
> were
> no vertical lines for the split image, this screen would not have worked as
> well.

I was about to reply to an earlier post in this thread that it is
obvious that there are many different qualities of vision represented
here. I suppose it is about the toughest thing to test and describe.

Winsor writes about something I've never noticed. I don't doubt that he
sees it. Maybe I would if I looked for it, but I've been happy without
that flaw for so long that I'm not going to go looking for it.  :-)

Michael asks how much brighter the 2 series are, which is essentially
unanswerable in any meaningful way, since our irises close out some of
the light most of the time and that varies from person to person.
> Do you recall what model of 1 series screen vs what model Beattie?
Almost certainly a 1-1 or 1-13. As to the Beattie, I can't actually be
sure that's what it is. It's an entirely unlabeled screen that's all
matte finish. Looks like cut with a milling machine from a block of all
equal thickness material.  It looks just like the Beattie product shots
on their site at the time I discovered I had it. I can't imagine what
else it could be, but I can't prove it.

> Would it make a difference if it was a Beattie in an OM1 / OM 2 as opposed to
> Beattie in a 2S / OM4 with the semi-silvered mirror?

I don't even remember which camera body I was using, OM-1 or 4
> Just curious, the Beatties will stay in my OM4s.

In the end, it's whatever works. But you know, I'm the guy who isn't
bothered by the apparently appalling viewfinder on the 300D, so maybe I
shouldn't say anything about viewfinders.

Moose