[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:18:45 -0400
Yes, with rebates the K100D is in the mid $500US range with Pentax
18-55mm. Even the K10D is around $800 with kit lens when rebates are
applied especially when color accuracy and detail are better than the
competing D80 & 30D cameras (solidity, shake reduction & weather sealing
aside). Tests by a few owners using the high quality sharp Pentax prime
lenses comparing raw to the 5D raw file actually show comparable detail.
Considering most review site tests are done with kit lenses, review site
results become moot due to dissimilarity in lenses - as photozone loves
to point out.

You'll notice with the Pentax dslr's there is less noise reduction
applied in raw (& jpeg), so there is less smeared detail than the
competitors.

In my case, K10D design process and philosophy was remarkably similar to
what Maitani used to say. Still, I'll keep my OM cameras and lenses.

Larry