[OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #46

Subject: [OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #46
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:04:17 +0100
The sky looks great (again ...).  I wouldn't have called it a "sea of
cloud", Michael, mainly because it is too broken to look like a sea.
If it were a sheet of Stratus or Stratocumulus it might look like a
"sea".

In case you are interested, the high cloud is called Cirrus ("CI").
Since this example is in a sheet or layer of high cloud it is called
Cirrostratus ("CS"); I should guess that it is up at around 25 -
30,000feet.  The lower cloud is called Cumulus (CU), also called
"Fluffy Cu", or "Fair Weather Cu" by aviators.  The tops of the
Cumulus will be at around 6 - 8,000feet, at a guess.  So your
aircraft must have been at 10 - 15,000feet when you took the photo,
although I realise that weather conditions in your part of the world
produce much higher piles of Cumulus, especially when they turn into
thunderstorms or Cumulonimbus (CB).

Chris