[OM] Re: How do you mat? =96 was Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: How do you mat? =96 was Signing photos
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 07:04:00 -0400
I've got a Logan cutter. It's been so long since I bought it, I
forget the number, and it's not printed on the machine. But it's the
complete deal. You can measure borders and cut the mat via a blade
drawn along a rail. Very precise. As I recall, it was between $400
and $500 US. There's a mass-produced aspect to it, too, where you can
set a couple of gizmos so you can cut, say, a whole pile of 11x14
mats with a single-size opening, but the gizmos tend to slip after a
while and overcuts become a problem.

Actually, for my standard sizes, I buy pre-cut mats from a place
called Prime Arts in Ohio. I figured the cost of pre-cut vs doing
them myself, and the pre-cuts came out only a few pennies to a dime
or so more expensive. Rest assured the lack of hassle and time saved
more than makes up for the extra cost. But then I buy hundreds of pre-
cut mats at a time. I think Prime Arts has a minimum of 25 to get a
custom cut. I'm sure there are places in the UK that will cut your
mats for you. Problem is finding one that's reasonably priced with an
acceptable level of quality.

--Bob
www.bobwhitmire.com