[OM] Re: [OT] Cars

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Cars
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 15:26:10 -0300

>I get great service at my Toyota dealer. If what I want done is going to
>take more than two hours, they give me a free loaner car. My 1997 4Runner
>has only 70,000 miles. I expect, with proper maintenance, it'll outlast me.
>For a Toyota, that's just barely broken-in.
>
> Walt

I suspect service is pretty specific to the local dealership. We've had 3
Toyota's in our family, two sons and a daughter each had new ones, and the
service was NOT good at our local dealership. Wouldn't honor warranties,
ridiculous service charges, certainly no loaner cars even during warranty
period, etc.

In contrast, service at two Chev/GM dealerships and a Mercury/Ford
dealership have been excellent. My daughter now drives a Ford Focus, which I
suspect is pretty much a Mazda 3. For road handling, it is quite a bit ahead
of my Vibe. http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1143320#53290031

My 2001 Chevy Tracker (aka Suzuki Grand Vitara), has over 207,000 kms, and
still runs well.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/popular/1/75556640#75556640
I'm not sure if it will outlast me. Somedays I think it wouldn't have to
last too long for that too happen. Both Suzuki and GM dealerships have told
me 400,000 kms. on them is not uncommon, but I'm a bit skeptical.

My Chevy Tracker/Suzuki  was made in Canada, and my Pontiac Vibe/Toyota
Matrix was made in the US (California ?).
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1470114#70202171
I'm not sure where the Focus was built, but I suspect in the US or Canada.
"American-made" vehicles are fine  :-)

Wayne