[OM] Re: The demise of the still camera

Subject: [OM] Re: The demise of the still camera
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 17:53:24 -0500
 That's why I don't understand why most compacts
> offer frame rates of 15 or 30fps.
The original rate of old time film cameras was somewhere around 16-18 fps,
which produced jerky results. The 24fps speed was arrived at to solve that
problem, by whatever reason I don't know. Those were the times of mechanical
regulation.

With the coming of electrical cameras, the rate was maintained the same, but
with video cameras and VTR's, it becomes more expeditious to go to a line
frequency based speed, 25/30fps. When all that stuff went battery powered,
the electronics to regulate things were cheap and small.

Bill Pearce