[OM] Re: [OM[ OT Something Wimpy Liberals shouldn't read

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM[ OT Something Wimpy Liberals shouldn't read
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 17:34:07 +0800
On 5/5/07, Darin <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> R S wrote
> >
> > Walt would you mind keeping your political views off the list? I'm sure
> > there are some better place for it.

I am on several lists where it would have been on-topic. I forwarded Walt's
message to one of them, because I think it would delight the"gun nuts"
there.

I also replied to one message in the thread because it pushed one of
my buttons and I couldn't resist. Mea culpa.

However, that doesn't mean I want to see more off-topic posts.
In my (fairly extensive) experience, off-topic stuff reduces the
value of a list for most users,sometimes even kills the list.

Of course, there is variation. Some lists tolerate a lot of off-topic
stuff. On others, you'll get your head bitten off at the first offense.

> > I subscribe as I enjoy reading posts about Olympus gear/photography - not
> > this crap.

Right.

> Not that Walt needs sticking up for, but it's not like this is the only
> political/off topic thread to be on the list in the recent past, or the not
> so recent for that matter. Can we say Global Warming?

I debated complaining about that thread, but decided no to, thinking
I didn't know the list well enough to bitch about the off-topic posts.

> If you don't agree
> with someone else's views, you have the right to form your own opinions and
> express them, but that doesn't mean you have the right to degrade someone
> just because they don't share your views on a given subject and choose to
> express their own.

Agreement with the views expressed isn't the issue. Whether or not
they're advocating something I agree with, I would strongly prefer not
to see anything here that is not directly about Olympus cameras, or
at least closely related. Interview with famous photog, interesting new
Canon device, etc. is close enough to be worth posting here.

You can have any opinion you want, but if it doesn't relate to Olympus
cameras, I'd rather you don't express it here.

> Personally, I'm tired of all the pompus remarks about how
> inappropriate and damaging this type of thread is to the list, when the only
> ones making inappropriate and damaging comments are the people who happen to
> disagree with the person who started the thread.

That is not the issue for me.

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China