[OM] Artist and Photography quotes (was: Prints that look like darkroom)

Subject: [OM] Artist and Photography quotes (was: Prints that look like darkroom)
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:52:05 +1000
> Timpe, Jim wrote:
> A favorite artist of mine on the local scene.  Flimsy
> definitions at best.  You may enjoy perusing his site, though.
>
> http://www.johnebner.com/prints.htm

I can see why he's a favorite. There's some beautiful work
there, Jim.

Not so much a favourite artist (though I certainly like his
work) is an artist that happens to own an Airedale Terrier
(another fanaticism of mine), Robert Genn:

http://www.robertgenn.com/
(see Airedale Terrier in self-portrait and throughout parts
of the sites)

Anyway, he is the origin of the Painter's Keys Community:

http://www.painterskeys.com/

and writes the twice weekly newsletter, which is interesting
reading if you're so inclined and have the time (I don't
paint or draw. I have still found it interesting from a
photographic point of view). To get to the point, he also has
an "Art Quotations" section, categorised. The ones on "Photography"
may be of interest:

http://quote.robertgenn.com/getquotes.php?catid=227&numcats=337

The quotes are not biased, except insofar as they may be
towards his "painterly" interest, so you get everything from...

"They used to photograph Shirley Temple through gauze. They
 should photograph me through linoleum." (Tallulah Bankhead)

"Photography tends to lead to a non-appreciation of things. You
 take things for granted, moving too quickly from one to another."
 (John Mullenger)

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see
 without a camera." (Dorothea Lange)

Anyway, there's lots of that old favourite - "food for thought"
- there if you're interested.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz