[OM] Re: #086

Subject: [OM] Re: #086
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:08:25 -0400
Maybe you could if they actually went to f/16. Even my Mynolta A1 which
has a "large" 2/3 sensor only goes to f/11.  Moose's favored Fooji F30
only goes down to f/8.

But regardless of the detail your point is well taken.  One has to learn
to take advantage of the different DOF characteristics.  I recall trying
to use the A1 at some dark party event and it was impossible for me or
the camera to see well enough to focus.  But I finally realized that at
28mm equivalent (even at f/4) the hyperfocal distance is less than 5
feet.  The nearest focusing distance display is 2 meters which is close
enough.  Set it on 2 meters, tape the focusing ring in place (because
it's easy to dislodge) and shoot the rest of the night with no focusing
at all.  You can even zoom to 50mm equivalent and hold the same 2 meters
focusing distance and nearly the same DOF range if you close down to f/8.

Chuck Norcutt