[OM] Cheap OM-->4/3rds adaptors [Was: Re: [OT] alternative fuels debate

Subject: [OM] Cheap OM-->4/3rds adaptors [Was: Re: [OT] alternative fuels debate response]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:28:29 -0700
> From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> When only two people are involved in a two-way dialogue and it
> seems to go on and on, it seems reasonable (to me) to take it off
> list, whatever the topic.

Sorry for getting carried away. I was under the impression that more
were interested. I do recall at least two other people (besides Barry
and I) taking part, but perhaps that was only at the beginning. It's
something I'm passionate about, even more so than photography!

So, in penance, I will strive to go back to my old habit of always
adding some on-topic info, or putting some on-topic slant on the
message.

> I hope that you will take my "off-list" suggestion in the spirit in
> which it was intended...a simple request and not an attempt at a
> rebuke of any sort.

No hard feelings. But as you said, I routinely scroll past a lot of
OT (and even semi-on topic) stuff that doesn't interest me. I'm not
interested in guns or SUVs or struggles with Win XP or even different
types of film or non-Olympus cameras and lenses. I don't expect
others to have such tolerance, but do get miffed when they complain
about my transgressions, but not about those of others.

REQUISITE OM STUFF: I got five of those cheap Chinese OM-->4/3rds
adaptors in the mail -- ended up paying $14 each, including shipping
from Shanghai. Although the machine work and finish look good, they
fit real sloppy and rattled. The fit was so poor that I could wiggle
the 500/8 mirror about 1/8th of the height of the frame!

But the good news is that (with the help of #3 reading glasses), I
noticed that the flanges each had a radial slot in them. (You can see
it in the evilBay photo, as well.) I found I could stick an Xacto
blade into those slots and twist slightly, spreading the flange
toward the camera. Now I have a nice, tight fit!

So if you've been considering the cheap adaptors from "cowy07" (like
evilBay #320083135612), but were concerned about fit and quality, I'd
give them "thumbs up" after a bit of tweaking.

:::: Those right-wing, religious nuts have gone too far: in Texas, a
man can't even marry his widow's sister! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::