[OM] Re: OT Social Security

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Social Security
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:50:50 +1000
Moonlighting is technically forbidden unless it contributes to your
development as a teacher or is under the radar, like the writing work
I've done. A friend who worked in a supermarket at the weekend when
he was financially troubled was informed by his principal that 'this
is NOT a part-time job!' and forced to drop the part-time work.
To be precise, teachers here have four weeks vacation plus public
holidays. The rest of that 11 weeks you are 'on call' and can be
required to work. Senior staff do as a matter of course and at my
present location, the Principal calls back his staff a week earlier
than other schools at the beginning of the year for a range of
'professional activities'. Plus he had staff in during the break just
finishing to run holiday classes - they were 'required to be present'
unless they had a VERY good excuse.
I was lucky - just whiled away my time at home in trivial endeavors
like catching up on marking and preparation.
Holidays my arse - it's a vocation, right?!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx