[OM] Re: Mooning other photographers

Subject: [OM] Re: Mooning other photographers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 01:42:58 -0700
Scott Peden wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
> The effects of the atmosphere on contrast and edge contrast can be
> largely overcome with post processing, making much more detail visible.
> http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wilcox/Moon.htm
>
> Scott asks;
>
> What kind of stuff did you do in the processing to get that dramatic change
> from Joel's pic to your rendition of it? I would love to play with some of
> my crisper moon shots and see what happens.

As it happens, I was curious about your 500/8 Seimar, so I already
checked out your moon shots with it in PS when you posted
it.http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Peden/SeiVivMoon2.htm

The immediate problems are lack of contrast and that the image is almost
all in the lower half of the histogram. The roll-over shows the result
of some combination of Levels, Curves and LCE to spread the image out in
the histogram, adjust tonal distribution and add both global contrast
and local contrast.

The next issue is sharpness. The click-over shows the result of
sharpening, and perhaps some LCE, I don't recall  the details. Each
different image needs to be done differently in any case. The result is
perhaps a bit over the top for presentation, but I was interested in
seeing how much actual detail the lens captured.
> I have a Oly 2X-A on the way, somehow the rest of the world didn't see the
> listing is all I can think of, as one person made the opening bid of $49.95
> and I placed one bid and 30 hours later it was mine.

Excellent deal!
> I'll compare that with the Vivitar macro 2X tele on the sigma 600 and see if
> I get a noticeable difference.

Do you recall the 'Bay auction I sent you for a neutral filter for the
Sigma?

Moose