[OM] Re: Bootlegging

Subject: [OM] Re: Bootlegging
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 03:30:06 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> The first three years I worked in this county, it was "dry," but I lived in a
> "wet" county nearby. Every Thursday for those three years, I came into the
> courthouse trying not to let others on the elevator (lift) hear the sloshing
> noise of what I had in the big paper sack, which was a half-gallon of Scotch
> whisky for Judge Bullard's secretary, who was one of my favorite people. (No
> romance there; she was at least 30 years older than me.) Then the county
> finally voted "wet" (1973 or '74, I think) and there were at least three
> liquor stores that sprang up on her way to and from the courthouse, so I was
> relieved of my bootlegging duties. Folks used to talk about "crossing the
> river," which was "code" for going over the Chattahooche to Fulton County to
> buy booze.

When Texas went to local option, is was really funny. On one side of the
street, you could buy a drink at a bar. On the other, you could buy a
drink at a bar, but it was a "Private Club" and your first drink came
with a membership card. I left with memberships in the clubs at several
restaurants. :-)

My taxi driver to the Fairmount one time was a good Baptist who was
scandalized at what was happening, especially at the hotel. The had a
big raised platform in the lobby with a brass rail around it where you
could buy a set-up, for the then outrageous price of $3.50, that just
happened to have booze in it when it arrived. Right out in public!
Lawdy, what's the world coming' to? The end must be near! Well, it
wasn't all that near, as it's been over 30 years.

Moose