[OM] OT but Photo related

Subject: [OM] OT but Photo related
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
Wow, those are great images, Moose.

  Well, I wasn't trying to be overly cynical - but let's face it, the average
snapshot taken by a casual user of a point-and-shoot film camera generally
leaves a lot to be desired - even from the point of view of the person who took
the photos. Thus, point-and-shoot digital for the general market does not have
to go too far ahead to look a lot better than the film alternative. If someone
can build a point-and-shoot digital that gives better results than a
point-and-shoot film camera does in the hands of an inexperienced user... then
it can grab a very large market share. And it can do so without even having to
approach what an experienced photographer could potentially do with a
point-and-shoot film-based camera; because, an experienced photographer has a
good idea what their photos will turn out to look like... and an inexperienced
photographer has no idea, unless they are using a digital that has a
view/review screen!

  John

  > I wouldn't mind a camera with a "Monet" preset next to the "Macro"
setting. But I know what you mean; and, I have concluded that the problem
here lies in the fact that someone involved with the development of
digital imaging decided that MOST people who buy digital cameras are not
looking to produce images that accurately capture the scene they were
taken of... MOST people are only looking for digital images that 'look
like photographs'. Thus, the standard has shifted; from "as life-like as
is possible", to, "a semblance of a representation".

You are more the cynic than I, and ascribe purpose where I think the
limits of the people doing the work, of the technically possible and
those imposed by the exigencies of the market place have much greater
effect on the outcome than cynical intent to produce crap. I guess I
prefer joy at finding a wonderful tool like the F30 or the 5D to dismay
at the sea of mediocrity, and occasional downright awfulness, amongst
which they are to be found.

John Morton
http://OriginOfWriting.com