[OM] Re: [Photo] blue heron 3

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] blue heron 3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:22:07 -0400
Another good shot.  Your mention of the hours spent in a single pose
reminded me of a great blue story.  When I lived in Florida I used to
work at the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge in Boynton Beach as a
volunteer docent ("roving interpreter" in US Fish & Wildlife speak).
The visitor's center had a pond on either side of it.  One usually
contained an 8 foot female gator and the other was frequently hunted and
fished by a large great blue heron.  Of course, anyone who has ever
watched a heron on hunt will realize that they can stand in a single
spot without moving for hours on end.

One day I noticed a woman observing the heron for quite some time but
didn't speak to her and paid it little attention as I was in
conversation with some other visitors.  A bit later on I happened to
pass by her again and as I did so she stopped me, pointed to the heron
and asked why we had "plastic birds" stuck in the water at a wildlife
refuge.  But not nearly as bad a mistake as the visitor I apprehended
who was climbing through the rail fence to go sit on "Molly" the 8 foot
gator in the other pond.  He thought she was plastic too.  Just two of
many stories from the refuge.

Chuck Norcutt