[OM] new dog, old tricks

Subject: [OM] new dog, old tricks
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:57:18 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Peter;

  I have a large amount of black and white negatives (I have a history of
working for small alternative newspapers) that I will eventually get around to
scanning (after I finish with my color film), and have had really great results
so far using my Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400. The only drawback: the dust
removal software doesn't work with silver halide-based film, so a can of
compressed air and a desktop lamp nearby (close enough that you can see a
reflected surface from the negatives, so you can see dust specks on the
negatives before scanning) is a really good idea.

  Just make sure that you use a scanner that can capture 16 bit greyscale:
you'll just love working with the ~65,000 shades of grey it produces!

  I have Power Retouche's "Black and White Studio" loaded into Photoshop as a
plug-in; it is a wonderful program, and very intuitive for photographers. I
often use it for color images too, by changing them into LAB color space and
then editing the luminance channel (as a next-to-last step, before switching
back into RGB color and editing color saturation).

  I re-purchased the equipment to develop black and white negatives a few years
ago (started doing that in 1973, at the age of 13) but I haven't gotten around
to playing with that stuff yet. I picked up a film change bag to act as my
darkroom for loading film onto the development reels and into the canister; and
I am assuming that this will work well enough... I certainly hope so, since I
don't really feel like building another darkroom that I probably won't use all
that much.

  John M.